Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Have you read this?


Cover Image
I LOVE to be engrossed in a good book. 
 I acquired this from my mother.  
Well it is not good for a bookworm to be  without a good book to read.  
And this has been my lot for the last month.  
So what do I do?  
Pull out my tried and true old favorite (let me clarify;  ALL TIME FAVORITE!)  
I have read the Red Tent by Anita Diamant at least 6 times (I don't know, I've lost count).
 I'm not a big re-reader or re-watcher of movies for that matter.  I don't buy books, or movies. I rent or borrow.  
But this book!  Thank heavens I own this book!
Not many share my sentiments for The Red Tent.  
Some are disturbed by the way Jacob is portrayed, or they have a hard time separating the historical fiction from the Biblical story.  Some are concerned about the way the female characters are treated by the male characters.  
But for me its not about that, and its definitely, 
NOT ABOUT THE MEN!  
I love this book for the women and their relationships between each other.  
Mother and daughter, sisters, friends.  
It reminds me of how I deeply value the female relationships in my life, and I rely on them greatly.   
I love this book because it pays homage to why, as a mother, I desire to have a daughter to share what is so wonderful about being a women.  
I love my 3 strapping sons, but lets be honest; they'll never be able to relate!  
I love this book because I have a strong desire to know incite about the prophets of old, to know the details of their lives, and fill in the blanks that the Bible leaves out.  
Now hold your criticism, 
I'm not delusional, I KNOW THIS IS FICTION! 
But I love the idea, that maybe this could have been what it was like for them.  
I also know that someday I can come face to face with prophets such as Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and there wives.  
I know that if I'm faithful to the covenants I've made here on earth I can have that dialogue I desire with the people whose faith has shaped my own in a place far more celestial.  
These are the thoughts that this book provokes for me.  
Bottom line, this book moves me!  
My only complaint; its over way too quick, and I'm left wanting more.  So I have to have something in waiting to pick up as soon as The Red Tent is put down.  
I think I'll go with Adam's favorite, 
"And There Was Light," by Jaques Lusseyran.  
A book that has moved him deeply.
After that who knows?  Which is a scary thought for me, I HAVE TO KNOW!
Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Holly O. said...

That is a great book! Have you read the Book Thief? I have a copy if you want to borrow. It is also excellent!

Anndee said...

Wow! A post from a bookworm about a book that I have actually read! It was good - I'll agree!

The Porter Post said...

I've been looking for a good book, I'll have to check it out!

daisy said...

I loved the Red Tent also. I was reading it on a plane and a guy in his 40s sitting next to me saw what I was reading and said it was a good book. I was surprised and asked him if he had really read it and he said yes. He has two daughters and anyone with a daughter should read it. I agreed. So very interesting. I love the concept of the Red tent as well. So great!
Loved the Book Thief. Loved also These is My Words, Pillars of the Earth, and The Thorn Birds.

The Porter Post said...

Hey girl! Just was thinking about ya, and hope everything is going wonderful for you! Wanted to thank you for letting me vent a few weeks ago...You got an ear-full!! Thanks for always being such an AMAZING friend!! I love and miss you! Any word yet on a vay-cay to AZ?

jjcrew said...

Hello to my neighbor from the Grove--long ago! I'm finally getting back to the blogging world. I've been on a hiatus and I can appreciate where you've been :) I am definitely going to have to give this book a whirl. Thanks for the shout out on it. Keep in touch.
Love ya, Jenn