I enjoy cooking very much, especially trying new things and especially something as culturally beloved as the traditional Puerto Rican rice and beans. Rice and beans are a staple in daily Puerto Rican cuisine. So I ask my sweet neighbor, Tata to teach me how the Puerto Ricans do it. Since then we enjoyed rice and beans at least 3 times a week. I made it for all our guest, and felt very pleased that I had learned something so important to Puerto Rican culture. Now I use the term "enjoyed" loosely. Adam LOVES rice and beans! No he LOVES LOVES LOVES rice and beans. This recipe is very nostalgic for him as it is very similar to what he ate on his mission in Bogata Columbia. Everytime I made them, he had a look of ecstasy glaze over his face! Ironically the big boys had a look of pure torture glaze over their faces when they sat down to eat and saw the token 5 BEANS on their plate that we would insist they eat! In fact Jackson said the other day, " I never want to go back to Puerto Rico so that I don't have to eat the beans." So very funny to me. Asher loved them, and was always willing to enjoy a cup full! Well we are back in the states now, and as I suspected I'm having trouble finding the authentic ingredients to recreate this Puerto Rican specialty. The pepper used to make a sofrito is very specific, as well as the pink beans, which are nothing like red, pinto or kidney. I've tried Mexican ( I know its not Mexican but I thought it was a good try) grocers, and simply looking in my local Lin's grocer but no luck. Until last Wednesday, I may have found what I'm looking for! I found a pepper in Albertsons called a Hungarian Wax Pepper, which looks extremely similar and smells right too! So I thought I check out the beans at Albertson's too, and sure enough in the dried bean section I found pink beans. I've never made it from dried beans though. I thought this was funny about the Puerto Ricans, they made there sofrito from scratch (its very easy; simply saute onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil) but they always used canned beans. I guess when you make it daily, you don't want to mess with soaking/cooking beans. Anyways I'll be experimenting this week, in hopes to recreate some Puerto Rican atmosphere, here in St. George.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh, the beans...I could eat those every day. Thanks for your recipe though I like it way better than how I was taught. How are things going in St. George? I hope all is well.
Good to hear from you! If you did in fact find the right ingredients, let us know--it sounds really yummy.
How is St. George? I hope that you are happy and doing well. We are in AZ now, and I keep wishing that you were here, too! I enjoy it here more than I thought that I would.
Anyway--glad that you've gotten you internet connection up! Cute pictures on you slide, too.
ummm... I love you and your cooking, but I think i have to side with the boys on the beans. I am just not really a bean person though... ha!ha! I would say I am more of a cake person. :) or cookies. or pina coladas. miss you!
Hallelujah! You've updated!
I'll eat anything you make, beans or no beans. So good to see you guys last Friday. Hope the new van is treating you well. Love ya!
welcome back to the blogging world-hope your move to St.George went well. Kevin is running the marathon in October, so maybe we'll get a chance to say hello. Are you planning on going back to the grove at all? I can't remember what everyone's plans are. Anyhow, hope all is well!
raise your hand if your tired of looking at the bean post...........did you hear that? It was the wooshing sound of six Ames hand flying into the air.....
Post a Comment