Wednesday, June 4, 2008

We live here!


We still can't believe it!  We take our family walk on the beach almost every night and still have to pinch ourselves; we live here!  Getting to Puerto Rico was interesting to say the least.  Between forgotten luggage, delayed flights ALL NIGHT TRAVELING WITH 3 KIDS!  Its amazing we didn't loose our minds, though maybe we're a little crazy for doing this in the first place.  And to give the kids credit, they have been AMAZING!  But we're here, we're happy and healthy, and counting our blessing everyday for what an amazing experience this has all been.  Puerto Rican culture is very different from what we know, if you ever lived in a Latin country, you'd understand, the chaos.  PURE CHAOS!  Its crowded, dysfunctional, slow, but so friendly, generous, happy!  
Adam is thoroughly enjoying clinic.  Unfortunately, he sees a lot of disease.  The traditional food of Puerto Rico involves lots of frying, which means high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and finally much eye disease.  Good for Adam bad for Puerto Rico.  But oh the food is so good!!!  The mofungo, tostonas, (both made from plantains), I can see why they don't give it up.  His commute is big.  But he still gets home to us by 5:30 at the latest (can't beat that!).
The boys and I spend our days poolside...sipping pina coladas...ok, ok, its not that glamorous.  Our complex is barely a year old, it has 5 pools all which are very different but extremely kid friendly.  We're located in a town called Loiza about an hour from San Juan.  The complex is very much a vacation destination for the wealthy of San Juan.  Close enough for weekend getaways.  So its very quiet during the week and very lively on the weekends.  We're a one car family right now, so the boys and I stay at the complex all day.  This has been very life changing for me.  If you know me, you'll know I like to go go go.  Not so here.  We stick close to home here.  We do spend our mornings at the pool, swimming, playing enjoying each other, then head indoors for the afternoon.  The sun is just way too intense to be out all day.  I've had to get creative with our days to keeping them from getting monotonous (yes the pool can get monotonous).  Its been a good challenge for me and the kids and has strengthened us greatly.
Our weekends have been fantastic.  Adam is so carefree and energized to explore!  
A list of what we've done:
El Junque Rainforest Hike
Tour of El Morro Fort in Old San Juan
7 Seas Beach
Ferry Boat to Vieques Island
And much more still to do.!  We recognize that life will never be as simple and carefree as it is now.  No bill, projects, studying, network TV or any other distractions. Just family time all the time.  We're so grateful to have this opportunity!
We just got the Internet last week, and not  a very good connection I might add.  I'll do my best to keep updating.  I will say that I re-enter the world wide web with trepidation .  This is one of those distractions I was a bit happy to not have.  But this is also journaling and necessary so its my challenge to moderate myself.  
One last thing I have no idea why this is underlined and I don't know how to turn it off!  Any clues?

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Congrats Meg! It looks so awesome and I am so excited for you and your family to be experiencing such a once in a lifetime opportunity. We miss you a lot, but know the time will fly until you're closer than ever! Love ya!

Cali said...

Beautiful! We are STILL experiencing rain EVERYDAY! Glad that you are doing so well! We miss you so much.

The Porter Post said...

How beautiful! What an adventure for you guys!! The beach looks gorgeous, and I'm glad Adam is gaining a lot of experience there too! I miss and love ya! Tell the boys hello for me!