We're half way to 6! I'll need a big emotional rest after Porter turns 6, this is an exhausting daily trip down memory lane! Especially after last nights entry. OK, here we go...
When Porter turned 3, we had been living with Adam's parents in preparation for optometry school. We had a fun cowboy birthday party in the backyard with a borrowed jumpy house and cowboy boot cupcakes. Shortly before we left for Oregon, we decided that 3 year old don't need bibbies (pacifier). It was another one of those scary hard transitions that you think will take forever! But yet again, Porter mastered it in a matter of days. He is so awesome! Our plane ride to Oregon was quite memorable too. Just picture Mom, a 13 month old baby and a sweet 3 yr. old boy vomiting everywhere (Adam had driven up)! No need to say more. We had a wonderful first summer in Oregon, with many adventures and discoveries. Porter discovered a love for saltwater taffy (just like Grandpa) from Bruce's candy shop in Cannon Beach. He also loved the ferry's we took to get to and from the San Juan Islands in Washington. Porter seem to grow and mature so much that summer, with an improved appetite and grasp on reasoning. I remember having a family night lesson on choosing the right, and giving Porter his first CTR ring, which he wore religiously. He was starting to understand cause and effect, choice and accountability. Porter began his first year of preschool at Wonderworld Preschool. He seem to thoroughly enjoy learning and having a schedule. In fact, I believe this was about the time that he started to ask what was going to happen next, "Mom, what are we going to do after...." We tried to stay busy with the indoor playground, Music Together, trips to the children's museum and OMSI. Porter has always been a big fan of movies, one of his favorites at the time was Incredibles. He was starting to get into pretend and imaginary play. Porter fast became the 4th generation of car lovers in the Lofgran family. Even being able to pick out a Mustang, and others. I remember driving down the road and Porter spotted a black Honda Accord. He said, "that's like daddy's car only black." We started to notice how sentimental Porter is. Forming tender little attachments to all kinds of thing. Particularly 3 little happy meal birds that he and Grammy named Jake, Jonah, and Joshua (after our friend Jake and Joe) then nicknamed them the J-birds! He loved those little birds. And there were others, eventually Porter was sleeping with about 7 cuddle friends. He had to have them all he loved them so. Helping Porter deal with his feelings and frustrations was very challenging. Still very emotional, and not able to control his anger. I think this is very normal now (though I didn't then) that I see Jackson go through it a bit, along with other 3 year olds. I know that year was very hard (as they all seem to be lately!) but as I reflect, I think we handled it as best as we could, including Porter. My memories of that year seem to be mostly positive!
2 comments:
You are such a wonderful mother. I love reading these entries. Thank you for sharing them.
hEY mEGaN!
It was so fun to see your comment and hear from you! Look at all your boys...ADORABLE! You are right, time flies! How old is your baby? We had another little girl last January, Tatum.
I hope all is well! Take care!
Post a Comment