Porters 3rd year, was a year of changes. And when I say 3rd year I mean from age 2 till his 3rd birthday (had to clarify, I was kinda confused for a second there!). Porter started sleeping in a big boy bed. Which added a whole new element to bed time! It took a few nights to train him that this is not playtime but bed time. I have say here that Porter is an extremely fast learner. He can grasp concepts very quickly. I thought the bedtime torture would last forever, but it was really only a week at most! Baby brother Jackson was born when Porter was 27 months old. I remember him coming to the hospital with Grandma to visit mommy and new baby brother. He totally did not care about us! Very much more interested in moms cool bed with all the buttons. Never was he unkind to Jackson as a newborn, but there was definitely a warm up period of growing love for this new person in our family. Shortly before Jackson was born, Daddy went back to school to begin prerequisites for optometry school. Adam went from working out of the home, being there almost all the time, and being extremely flexible with his schedule, to gone all the time taking 4 sciences plus labs in a summer session. That was a total shock to Porter's world. I can see why Porters emotional outburst began to grow. All these enormous changes are happening, and he is just trying to articulate how he feels. At about 2 1/2 Porter started to alert me when he had a wet diaper, so here we go potty training, which went really fast, like I said he catches on quick. We decided to move out of our home, preparing to rent it out, and live with Adams parents while we prepared ourselves financially for moving out of state and attending optometry school. Porter got to live in Grandma and Grandpa's house for 5 months! I know he loved the extra attention from Grandma. He became her little shadow. And Grandma sure was attached to him. This was the year that Porter discovered how wonderful cousins are. He loved playing with them, which was all the time since Grandmas house was quite the hub! As Jackson became more interactive, he fast became Porter's sidekick. It was fun to listen to them giggle together at bedtime, to see those brotherly bonds grow.
I realized that I haven't mentioned how we named Porter. Well, Porter Thomas Lofgran is a very special family name. Porter is my maternal grandmothers maiden name, a name that just resonated with both Adam and I. Thomas is my father and grandfather; both very important people in our lives. I hope that Porter will have an appreciation for his name and the people he was named after.
WOW! This was a very emotional entry for me. That year, our life as we new it was flipped upside down. We really put poor Porter through the ringer. When your in the thick of it too, its so hard to see the root of the trial. I guess this is why the Prophets encourage us so much to keep a journal. Not only is it therapeutic, but also provides insight and understanding. What a blessing to be journaling Porter's life and have this time to reflect. We are getting ready for another very hard year. This last year of rotations will challenge us all. I worry about Porter the most, as he will be begin 1st grade next fall, in a new town, new school, new people. This time of reflection, will hopefully give me insight of how to be considerate of Porter's feelings, and help him deal with the changes in a healthy way. Pray for us!!!!!!!!!!
0 comments:
Post a Comment