Saturday, March 8, 2008

Phantom Limb














Before I get into the strangest thing that happened last week, let me tell you about these photos.  I wanted to get a picture of Asher in this shirt my dad bought for him.  If you can't read it, it says "What happens at Grandmas stays at Grandmas."  But as you can see Asher has turned into the wiggliest little worm and will never sit still!  It wasn't until he finally went down for the afternoon nap that I could get a good one of him.  
OK, on to the story.  Last weekend, Adam told me he noticed Asher wasn't using his left arm.  Well by this point we'd already put Asher to bed and I didn't really understand what he meant so I sort of brushed it off.  Well the next morning I noticed it too.  It was as if the left arm was disconnected and no longer a part of the rest of his body.  I tried lifting it and got no resistance.  He still has a lot of random arm movements but there was nothing from the left.  Toys that he normally holds with two hand, he'd only hold with the right.  I couldn't pin point anything specific that would lead me to believe he got hurt, and he really wasn't acting like he was in pain, certainly not to the touch. I will say he was acting lethargic  and whiny  This went on all Sunday, and by that night I was extremely concerned.  We decided that come Monday if he still wasn't using it, we'd take him to the doctor.  Sure enough, same story Monday morning, so I make our appointment and get the kids ready for school.  Buy the time I get home from dropping Porter off at school, I get Asher out of his car seat and he is totally using his left arm again, as if nothing happened!  But am I relieved?  Absolutely not!  Now I think its neurological!  I did cancel the appointment, but chatted with the doc about.  His conclusion being that it could have been an injury, but not likely neurological, and just to keep watch.  I've talked to a few moms who experienced the same thing (weird!).  Anyone else?  What happened?  What did you do? 

1 comments:

we share: said...

yeah that arm thing was really strange. It was weird. your boys are just so wonderful and I don't know how we are ever going to live without you all!!! I can't believe you are leavin gin less than 2 months- it just makes me sick. I hope you keep up your blog- it is so great and you totally out-blogged me this week. Any luck on finding an elliptical, piano, jewlery or other useless stuff you don't need???